THE step-by-step guide to creating successful pitches and enhancing your presentation skills
How To: Create an Investable Pitch walks you step-by-step through the most important part of bringing your idea into reality; creating an investor pitch. You will learn The PitchFixer Method which has proven itself many times over by helping startups and entrepreneurs raise millions of dollars of funding.
Throughout the course, Venture Capitalists, Angel Investors, Vanderbilt professors, Master Mentors, CEOs, Lawyers and Financial Gurus will give you insights, suggestions and tactics on building slides and engaging investors before, during and after your pitch.
You will learn and use the same methods and tools The Nashville Entrepreneur Center uses with every entrepreneur that walks through their doors. The track record, reputation and success of The PitchFixer Method makes this course a must.
(Sometimes you need to learn how to create a powerful presentation/pitch deck fast. You may have a pitch or presentation coming up in a few days. If that's the case take a look at Presentation Crash Course.)
Scott Rouse walks you slide by slide through creating an Investable Pitch.
Upon finishing the course you will have a complete understanding of what information your pitch deck should contain and in what order that information should be presented.
Comparing slides from successful pitch decks with slides from some not so successful pitch decks will teach you how to spot and correct the most common mistakes startups and entrepreneurs make during the pitch-building process.
You will learn how much time to spend on each slide. You will discover the key to preparing for questions from investors after your pitch, and you'll learn what questions to ask them as well. You will also discover how and why you want to research the investors you pitch to... And it's not for the reasons you think.
Ever wonder what Investors are thinking? Now you'll know.
When pitching there are many things that click the investor's Gut Feeling Controls to the Something's Not Right Here setting. Even though you're being honest, you may inadvertently do something that tells the investor's Limbic Brain "Look out, this guy's up to something..." From an interrogator's perspective, Scott Rouse will teach you what those things are and how to correct and avoid them.
You will learn where and how to stand and what to do with your hands. You'll learn where to look, who to look at, and for how long. You'll discover the signs that tell you which investors are interested in your pitch, and which investors will waste your time. You will also discover how powerful pauses can be and where to strategically place them throughout your pitch.
With Create An Investable SlideDeck you get complete access to all of the tools and handouts (in PDF form) that are otherwise available only when purchased in The InvestablePitch ToolKit. There are more, but here are some examples of the tools you get:
- The IdeaFrame: The first and most important step for startups entering any accelerator. Quickly and easily create a high level business model for your idea. The information gathered is used to create a pitch that has a credible and powerfully potent punch.
- The PitchMap: This tool allows you to quickly and easily create 15, 30, and 60 second elevator pitches. It also gives you a better understanding of what your Purpose Statement should be.
- The Investable SlideDeck: This gives you a tight, short and sharp description of what each slide should look like and contain as well as the structure of the pitch.
What are the requirements?
- Download the provided tools, worksheets and handouts from The Investable Toolkit.
- Notebook or Note taking App
- 3X5 Index Cards
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 77 lectures and 5.5 hours of content!
- After completing this course you will be equipped with the same tools and techniques these startups, entrepreneurs and inventors used to create the Investable Pitches that got their ideas funded:
- - "If our $1.65M Series A is any measure, The PitchFixer Method worked!" - Matthew Rubinstein, Founder & CEO - LiveSchool FUNDED: $1.65M
- - "The pitch is important and Scott Rouse, using The PitchFixer Method, helped me nail it.” Nicholas Holland, Founder & CEO - Populr.me FUNDED: $435,000
- HUMA Chia Energy Gel - The Owen School of Business Management at Vanderbilt Sohr Grant / WINNER $25,000
- John Mark Eberhardt - GotYouIn / WINNER $5,000 Louisville Pitch Contest / WINNER $10,000 Launch Tennessee
- Taylor Chapman - EventParc / FUNDED: $200,000
- - "For me, Scott Rouse and The PitchFixer Method were a blessing." Parish Lusz Founder & CEO - HardMounts - FUNDED: $1.2M
- Steven Elliott - eClinic - Launch Tennessee / WINNER $10,000
- Andrew Coulton - Aquation / FUNDED: $75,000
- - "The PitchFixer Method is the key." Andy Pickens Founder & CEO - Jamplify Winner of the Midem Conference Pitch Competition, Cannes FUNDED: $625,000
- - "I highly recommend The PitchFixer Method to anyone as a necessity for developing an investable pitch.” Dave Durocher, CEO & Co-Founder - SPLOTHER Winner: NGC - FUNDED: $150,000
- - "Whether you are a start-up Founder or corporate executive, Scott Rouse and The PitchFixer Method have the knowledge, experience, and tools to help you improve your presentation skills.” LeShane C. Greenhill Co-Founder – Sagents - WINNER Nashville Governor's Conference Pitches
- - “We brought our story, and using The PitchFixer Method, Scott made it investable." Kyle McCollom Founder Everly - FUNDED: $40,000 Seed Round
- - "Scott Rouse is a very patient and highly qualified professional instructor. I highly recommend Scott and The PitchFixer Method for any entrepreneur or executive seeking to improve their body language, presentation skills, and looking for immediate results.” Tom White Founder & CEO - iQuantifi - Winner: Best In Show at San Francisco's FinovateSpring. FUNDED: $450,000
- Teja Yenamandra - Gun.io / Winner $10,000 Launch Tennessee
- Jamie Bailey - InitialState Technology / Funded $175,000
- "Scott’s sense of business, aesthetics and graphic content are unparalleled. He was able to take our core business proposition and “make it sing”. The investor and customer pitches which resulted from consulting with Scott were light years ahead of anything we could have generated on our own. In an very short time, Scott was able to help ERM get its message across in an extremely compelling fashion." Larry W. Bridgesmith, J.D. - Chief Relationship Officer - ERM Legal Solutions. FUNDED: $715,000
What is the target audience?
- Startups, new entrepreneurs and inventors with little or no business background will benefit from this course.
- Anyone with an idea, product, service or invention will benefit from this course.
- CEO's of multi-million dollar companies, and even billion dollar companies, have benefited and continue to benefit from this course.
- Attorneys and legal professionals have and continue to benefit from this course.
Introduction & Syllabus
Meet some of the Investors and Mentors you'll be hearing fromIntroductionThe Investor Questions
On Your Mark - The Tools
Course instructor, Scott Rouse, gives a TEDx Talk on Body Language.Michael Burcham Explains The IdeaFrameThe IdeaFrame PDFPitchMap Explanation VideoThe PitchMap
Get Set - The Foundation
Investor/Mentor Advice on Your 1st Time Building a PitchBasic Structure of The Investable SlideDeckThe Information Download (Index Cards)Purpose Statement/TaglineStartups on Pitching - Building the 1st Pitch DeckSlide Building 101Body Language - Your Mindset for The PitchBefore We Dive In
Go! - Creating The Story
SLIDE 1 - The Intro SlideTake Charge Of The Room - Body LanguageMichael Burcham - CEO Nashville Entrepreneur CenterSLIDE 2 - ProblemBody Language - The Investor's Body LanguageDavid Furse - Professor, Owen School of Business Management at VanderbiltBuilding Excitement And Interest - Body LanguageTownes Duncan - Solidus CompanySLIDE 3 - SolutionInvestor/Mentor Questions - Pitch EngagementPITCH: Zingfin
The First Turn
Shawn Glinter - Master Mentor, Serial EntrepreneurBody Language - The 7-38-55 RuleSLIDE 4 - Why Now? Explain why market conditions are right todayJulia Polk - Angel Investor, Financials MentorSLIDE 5 - Business Model / Pricing, Customer acquisition & valueBody Language Frankenstein; How And Why It MisinterpretsBe Honest Or They'll Know - Body LanguageLandon Gibbs - Rolling Hills VenturesWhat It's Meant To Be & What It's Supposed To BeSLIDE 6 - Underlying Magic & Technology / How it worksMark Montgomery - Serial Entrepreneur, Founder of FLO ThinkeryPITCH: Utilize Health
The Last Turn
SLIDE 7 - Marketing & Sales / Distribution methods, Advertising etcBusiness Plan BasicsVic Gatto - Solidus Company, JumpStart FoundryDon't Turn It On - Body LanguageSLIDE 8 - Competition / Who has one like this & why yours is betterStartups on Pitching - What Are You Thinking 60 Seconds Before You Pitch?Don't Break Your Mirror - Body LanguageSLIDE 9 - Intellectual Property / Your Patents, Copyrights, TrademarksSometimes It's The Person Pitching, Not The Idea...Body Language Frankenstein & The 7, 38, 55 RuleThe Pitch From A Mentor's Point Of View - Shawn GlinterEase Them Back Into Cognitive Mode - Body LanguageTod Fetherling - Investor, Chairman & Founder of StratasanPITCH: RocketRaise
The Homestretch - Preparing to Ask
SLIDE 10 - Team / Who they are & what they doConsistent Confidence Is The Key - Body LanguageInvestor/Mentor Questions - FinancialsSLIDE 11 - Projections & Milestones / Simple 5 year financial forecast"Here's What's Gonna Happen Next" - Body LanguageAlison Lynch - Serial EntrepreneurSLIDE 12 - Status & Timeline / Where are you now, how much has been spent so farBody Language - Watch For The CuesSLIDE 13 - MomentumTell Them "Why" - Body LanguagePITCH: InvisionHeart
The Finish Line - The Ask
The Investor's Body Language FrankensteinAre Investors Engaged With Your Pitch?SLIDE 14 - Summary & Ask / Your ask and what you'll do with itIs The Investor Interested Or Skeptical?SLIDE 15 - The Outro Slide / The Last Thing Investors SeeCreate An Unspoken Bond - Body LanguagePITCH: NewsBreak
Prep For PitchPITCH: iQuantifiStartups on Pitching - What if You Get Lost?PITCH: dVisitYou're Ready To Pitch, Now What?QUIZ
Wrapping Up The Course